Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Late lunch

Here is the chicken and taters I made. This is truly a great dish and I love cooking it.
So, I made a minor mistake. I bought those carrots and celery to use to make stock, however, I am not planning on making stock until next week. Because of this I will not have vegetables this week. What I should have done is bought more vegetables and held off on carrots and celery until next week. That's fine and I will make up for it next week. The first week in doing something like this is always the hardest. It gets perpetually easier as the weeks go buy and you tend to build up somewhat of a stockpile of food. Anyway, no vegetables for this week but I will certainly make up for it next week.

2 comments:

  1. I know I am not a real chef, but I have never made my stock with the "good parts" of the celery - the middle third I always reserve for food grade [chopped/sautéed] and the ends for stock. In fact - you are only feeding one, so couldn't you stretch it a bit and use half the carrots for stock and still have veggies this week?

    I am sure you have thought of this.

    How do you feel about frozen vegetables? Since we moved [and lived in temp housing for 6 months] we didn't have a chance for a garden this year and buying out of season for things like broccoli, corn and peas just wounds me, so I am buying frozen. I won't buy canned. Just wondering.

    Can't wait to see the next meal. Mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that frozen vegetables are superior to fresh. The reason is that once vegetables are harvested then they immediately begin to lose their nutrients. Freezing arrests this process.

    The first week of this is always the hardest and the most unpleasant. I was not able to buy everything that I wanted. This changes in the second week. By the end of this week I will have used a little less than half of what I bought. This will make next week's purchases much better. Please keep watch of what I am doing. Everything will be clear next week. It is the point of two weeks.

    ReplyDelete