Thursday, October 31, 2013

Dinner day 2



So, for breakfast this morning I had a biscuit and some eggs and for lunch I had the remainder of my roasted chicken. That is one of the great things about biscuits and roasted chicken; they are arguably better as left overs than when you first make them.  

For those of you that do not know me I am a “good ole boy” from Mississippi or in elitist liberal parlance “a redneck”, perhaps a bit of a renaissance redneck but a redneck just the same. This means that I was raised on certain foods that I still love to this day. One of those foods is fried chicken and nothing makes better fried chicken than legs and thighs. So tonight I made some fried chicken and buttermilk mashed potatoes or as we call them in the ‘sip “maish taters”.  I made extra so there will be plenty for tomorrow and the only thing better than fried chicken is cold fried chicken the next day.

It should be noted that the oil used to fry the chicken will be strained and reused and the flower used to dust the chicken will be sifted and also reused.


I would like to explain a few things about me and the way I look at problems. I am doing the snap challenge to show that living on a budget is really not that hard to do. It just takes some planning and a modicum of discipline. For the sake of the “challenge” I have been buying everything I eat at the grocery store with the $30 per week allowance. 

That being said, if I found myself in destitution you can rest assured that I would not be whining to some government bureaucrat that I need someone else’s money to feed myself. If I found myself in a situation like that I would grab my fishing pole and march down to the bayou and I would spend every extra second I had catching fish to feed myself. Or, I would put my shotgun over my shoulder and walk out into the field and try to get some doves or rabbits. I have friends to this day that that do not buy protein at the grocery because they hunt and fish for their protein. These people buy very little vegetables at the grocery because they have their own gardens. You see, to me, that is what it means to be American. Self-reliance is the essence of what it means to be an American. Our being able to take care of ourselves is what defines us as citizens and as human beings. Our grandparents and for most of us our parents did exactly that. If you were hungry then you went out and killed something and ate it whether that be figuratively or literally. Looking to the government was not even a consideration. 

I fear this is becoming an antiquated and mocked concept in today’s society and I think it is not good for us as a country that we are so far removed from what our grandparents went through. I find it sad that so many people’s first response to any sort of hardship is to turn to the government. The really sad thing about it is all of those people who immediately turn to government in any time of hardship are always very disappointed with the government’s response to their plight (see Katrina and Sandy). What does it say about us and where we have come?

2 comments:

  1. Your dinner looks delicious.

    I don't know if your Grandma or Mom did it, but I would be hesitant to resift FLOUR that raw store bought chicken was dipped in to reuse.

    That's a little scary and if you apportion right you really don't use that much. Fried chicken is a huge favorite here and I totally agree - legs and thighs!

    The hunting and fishing [which I grew up on] IS a great idea, but no always accessible to everyone. Think how much money you could save if you could've planted a garden, even in tight quarters [apartment?] for fresh veggies and fruits.

    I don't think the idea of hunting and fishing is antiquated so much as the planting of a garden is, which is by far more easily done anywhere. I can't imagine anyone needing food fishing in the Hudson or hunting in Central Park.

    I do admire your thoughts and spirit tho'. And I really want friend chicken now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Skippymom. The resifted flour should be used for nothing but frying. I should have been more clear about that.

    It is my opinion that if you live any a major metropolitan are and have to be on snap then perhaps it is better to consider moving. That being said, I have seen people fishing for bass and bream in the ponds of central park. Also, the days of the heavily polluted Hudson are over. It would be quite easy to fish those waters.

    I do not expect everyone to go out and kill what they eat. It is what I would do but I know many are not capable of that. That is why I am doing the challenge on $30 a week and not supplementing with what I know I can get right in my back yard.

    ReplyDelete