Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Lunch and dinner day 1 (maybe lunch for tomorrow too)

I am making a batch of roasted chicken from the chicken I butchered earlier and some roasted potatoes to go with it.

The chicken has a bit of oil, Salt and Pepper, a bit of Garlic and some fresh herbs.

I can hear all of you now "but you didn't buy garlic and Salt and Pepper you are cheating and you hate poor people". This is true. I am working on the assumption that people have basic condiments and seasoning in their cupboards.

Now I hear you again "what about fresh herbs??? Only rich people can afford fresh herbs!!! You are a capitalist pig!!!" This is simply not true. You can buy an oregano plant, a thyme plant, a sage plant or basically any other herb plant for about the same price as the same herb dried and jarred by McCormik, in most cases for substantially less. With a very minimum of care these herb plants will provide you with fresh herbs for years.

I am using Sage, Thyme and Oregano on my chicken

And here is the prepared chicken in the toaster oven ready for cooking. Those are yellow potatoes that will be roasting under the chicken.



So, this is a pretty cool thing here. The chicken roasts and then drips deliciousness onto the potatoes below. If you look at any of Paul Bocuse's (French Master Chef) cook books you will see something similar to this. It is roasted chicken with Lyonnaise Potatoes and it is considered a delicacy by many chefs including myself and certainly a dish worthy of mastery. How's that for eating on a budget?





2 comments:

  1. You. Are. Awesome. good reading.. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about the herbs. And if they get "leggy" pick them off and freeze them or put them in a low temp oven and dry them. Then grind them up. Next year I need to plant a lot of garlic tho'. We love the stuff and can't grow that indoors.

    I am SO making this for my family. When they call me "hero" I will give the credit to you, of course. Love new recipes.

    ReplyDelete